Wednesday, August 8, 2012

School Shopping

This week I took advantage of my parents being here to whisk off my 5 yr old to do a little school supplies shopping. :) Since this is his first school experience I wanted to be able to have a little one on one time with him. I've realized that getting good quality one-on-one time with each of my kids is SO difficult! Anyone else have this problem? I know it's good to spend time with them together, of course, but I strongly believe that kids thrive on having good individual time with their parents. I only have 3 to juggle and I know a lot of people with more on their plate (kids and responsibilities), but this is an area where I need to work much harder for sure! Anyway, the lad and I really enjoyed our time together. "Town" is a 45 minute drive away, and since his seat is in the "back back" of the vehicle we didn't do much chatting on the way. Once we got to the store though I made sure he was very involved. His first question was "Do I get to go inside with you?" Yeah, most of the time my Hurb and I tag-team when we're in town shopping to avoid having to unbuckle/buckle 3 car seats multiple times. The lad was happy as a clam when I assured him he would NOT be staying in the vehicle by himself. ;) I let him help me choose the supplies. He could pick the color sharpener he wanted, a pencil box and some folders. He did a great job, though I think the special "Hot Wheels" motorcycle that he got to pick for losing his tooth eclipsed all of the school "stuff." I'm not a crafty mom, so it was with some fear and trepidation that we browsed the craft aisles. I was happy to see that the majority of the projects for his art are pretty well contained in the book. Some cutting and gluing is the majority of the involvement there. The list did included glitter as an *optional* item, but the thought of glitter gives me hives, so I compromised and found some glitter glue stuff that I think will give an appropriate amount of bling to any projects that need it. ;) After our successful shopping excursion, and oil change, we went to lunch together at our favorite 'chicken and fries' joint, Wendy's. Ha ha! Surprisingly though the lad asked for a "little hamburger" this time around. Guess he's tired of nuggets. We chatted over our lunches and enjoyed our frosty desserts while chatting about things we could see out the window. The lad was mostly calm and well behaved with very minimal whining while we were out. Not the norm for him in our whole family unit, which makes me realize all the more how vital it is for him especially to have more individual time. Good times with the big boy! Now we have all the "supplies" we need to begin school. Still waiting on the videos, but I'm not in any hurry, it's still too early in August. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment