Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Day 1

DSC_4752 Well, the deep breathing helped. :) Today was our first day of school. Bubba was ready and willing to be engaged by it. I didn't make a bit "to do" about the first day of school this year. I know I probably should have, but I didn't have it in me. Perhaps next year, and the years following, I will be able to make a big special breakfast, and have little back to school treats on a happily decorated table and all. This year I was just trying to survive the process. We did survive though, and I'm happy with the school choice that we made for our lad. He did a fantastic job with the video. I sat with him and we both stood and were seated and responded when we needed to. He followed his teacher's instructions very well, and I was pleased by his responses to the whole experience. Today was a short day. Mostly we just established class habits, and some basic listening/responding skills. He did do one work page, and he enjoyed that. This curriculum is indeed very structured, but knowing my lad as I do, I think that he will thrive on that structure. I can't provide that ridged of a structure in every day life. It goes against my grain, and I can only function well in a "lose structure" and be relatively sane. ;) So I'm happy that this video school is going to provide a bit more of that for him. One of the things I was looking forward too with this curriculum/video was the Bible time. I love the stories that he will be learning, and the scripture that he will be memorizing. He’s already learning the Lord’s prayer, and today’s Bible story was about heaven and the things that will be there and things that will not. There is a very strong gospel emphasis to their Bible stories in K-5. I’m happy about that since I know that Qade is approaching that age where his tender heart will be able to understand his need for a Savior. I’m praying that it will be this year! His brother and baby sis will sit in on the Bible time too, so that they will have some involvement in "school" too. This is just the first step, and I know there will be more to come, but for some reason taking that first step seemed to be the most difficult.

1 comment: