Friday, July 27, 2012

Dream Big

The second day of the convention opened with a keynote by Todd Wilson called Dream Big. It's apparently one of his "signature" speeches. I really appreciated his humor. He is one of those speakers who has the ability to stomp really hard on your toes, but then make you laugh right after. :) Much of what he said really sunk in for me. I'm glad I made it to that session. I had contemplated not going. Todd's point is that in this homeschool journey DREAM BIG!! :) Homeschooling is a dream, and it's okay to dream big. His subtitle was "But watch out for dream killers." I realized as he was talking that I have a serious "dream killer" bent, and I need to be that mom who fans the flames of my kids' dreams. I NEED to be that wife who fans my Hurb's dreams rather than try to throw the "cold water" of reality or "realistic thinking" on his dreams. Not only that, but it encouraged me to keep dreaming even when faced with dream killers in my own life. Trying to shed that dream killer cold water like a duck is difficult, but it's easier for me now that I realize I'm talking to a dream killer. Ya know how yesterday I mentioned that this homeschool journey is one that my Hurb and I believe God wants us to take? I'm going to keep coming back to that because I know that I would NEVER be able to do this or stick with it if I did not have that thought constantly in my head. Heidi St. John did a great job of reminding all of us that God is the one that is going to make this homeschooling thing happen, and I find a LOT of comfort in that. But back to the dream killers. I realize now that they come in all shapes and sizes, and that their dream killing speeches are often disguised as "helpful" comments, or something. ;) I know (because I've been one remember?) that the dream killers aren't trying to be hurtful or to tear down your great ambitions, or burst your bubble, but the fact is, that's exactly what they are doing. In fact I had someone who I don't know tell someone who is close to me for me to "call them for support." I was touched by this other homeschool mom's desire to be a help to me since she's been there and done that for quite awhile now. The fact that she would reach out to someone that she doesn't even know just because she heard that I'd be a newbie homeschooling mom was very sweet. BUT she followed up that statement with a "Oh she's using THAT curriculum?" "I wonder how THAT will work out for her?" then "You'll have to have her call me after she's used it for a few weeks." !!!DREAM KILLER ALLERT!!! Do you think I'll be calling that lady? When I heard the first statement, I had half a mind to actually call her. I know I'm going to need moral support! But when I heard the dream-killing statement. (You saw it right?) I totally mentally distanced myself from that lady. And that's what Todd's point was. We distance ourselves from dream killers, so if anything that is a good reason NOT to be one. If we really want our kids or spouse or even friends to open up to us and be real, then we should fan the flames of their dreams even if they seem crazy to us. Todd reminded us that God is big enough to squelch the dumb dreams, it's our job to fan the flames.

5 comments:

  1. I can understand where you are coming from. Home schooling Emma is VERY intimidating and at times overwhelming to me. If it weren't for God making it clear this is the path He has for us right now I'm not sure I could handle the pressure! I've also had your same thoughts about home schoolers being *weird* and unsociable. Not to mention the denim skirts and white socks with tennis shoes... *shudder* :) You aren't alone :) Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I was a homeschooler once upon a time, ha ha! One thing someone said at the convention was, "Your kids will be as weird as you are." So I guess I can deal with that. ;) I think my biggest fear is that homeschooling will stress my relationship with my kids rather than build it. But perhaps that will be my biggest, "ah-ha" once we really get the ball rolling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you using Abeka? We are doing their streaming videos again this year. We started last week because we have a trip we are taking soon and I wanted to get her a little ahead. School starts so early around here! Hope it is less stressful than you anticipate! I felt similar as you about straining our relationship, that's why we do the videos. A great education and it releaves some pressure :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes we are doing the Abeka video. We can't do streaming because of our poor internet options out here, but we'll be getting the DVD's. And yes, I think it will help take off some of the pressure as well since Bubba will have a "teacher" that I can refer to rather than everything coming from Mom. :) We will start in a few weeks. I had the first week in Sept as our start date, but will probably start earlier if we get the materials early. We have a trip to fit in in the Fall as well. One of the perks of homeschooling! ;) But I hate starting school before September! It just rubs me wrong. Hurb starts school next week and the students are back on the 6th. Seems like summer used to be much longer didn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a good point. I want to remember not be a dream killer or hang around them.

    ReplyDelete