Saturday, July 14, 2012

Convention coming up

I've been thinking about blogging much more than I actually have been blogging... obviously. ;) I'm cutting ties with facebook though so I should be able to actually get my thoughts out in blog form a little more often... maybe. Anyway, the huge state homeschool convention is coming up in a week. I'm not sure what I'm in for in that regard, but have been told by those who know, that it's a great encouraging experience. I hope so! I could use some encouragement when it comes to homeschooling. And I confess that the thought that pops into my head when I think of a "homeschool convention" is women in large denim jumpers with books and pencils appliquéd on them, culottes and big homemade book bags. I and my purple hair and capri pants will stand out like a sore thumb. ;) Fortunately I know that it will NOT be that way. I happen to personally know quite a few homeschool families who will be attending or represented there, and none of them are that way. I really have no idea why I have such a warped view of homeschoolers in my head. I was one... and don't think our family was "that way." But I did rub elbows with quite a few who kinda were that way in college. I guess I have an irrational fear that ,like a plague, once we officially start homeschooling we'll be come infected with some "strangeness" disease. Our kids will be sequestered away from everything and everyone and we'll live life in our own little compound becoming weirder by the day. Not knowing how to dress normal, or have normal conversations and interact with society. Ha ha ha!! How silly! Really, I'm just being ridiculous with all these silly ramblings. I hope you can see through it all and realize that I don't have anything against homeschooling or homeschoolers. I was one remember? My kids will be some too! And really, I am overwhelmed with thankfulness that I have this opportunity to educate my kiddos at home. Yes, I'm nervous about how it will all end up working within our family dynamics, yes I have fears of the unknown in it all, yes I'm not outwardly "gung ho" about the process, but yes, I am SO thankful for the opportunity. And the other night as my hubby and I were rubbing each other's feet and talking, I was again reminded of how hard he works for our family! He works hard so that I can stay home and raise our kids. So that I can be our children's first teacher. So I can make our home a haven. And remember that helped me make an even more determined decision to make this homeschooling journey a good one! So I'm looking forward to the convention and the tips/tricks/ideas that it will bring, and hoping to find the encouragement that others have spoken of to really start to "feel" what I know, that homeschooling is a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment